With this 9-day guided tour of Maramures and Bucovina, you will discover a rural world which is no longer present in the Western countries. You will get to be in constant contact with the rich peasant culture and the beautiful, protected natural environment. Your two destinations are Bucovina and Maramures. Here, you will discover two regions which are so closely located to each other, however very much different. Their inhabitants will help you discover their very interesting village life, crafts, and customs and by the end of your adventure, you will have also understood the mysteries of the world-renowned Bucovenian painted monasteries and the beautiful wooden churches of Maramures which are now part of UNESCO's heritage. A stunning landscape will keep you company during this unforgettable journey. All of this and much more exciting surprises are waiting for you on this trip.
Your day by day program
Arrival in Bucharest. Meeting the guide in the evening at the train station 1hr before the train departure. Night train for Bucovina at 9:30 PM (sleeping wagon 2 or 4 beds / cabin, upon availabilities, we can know it only 3 weeks before the departure. Train timetable may change).
In the morning, short private transfer to our hosts. After breakfast, be ready to discover already the deep Bucovina: we’ll take the steam train. The steam train track leads along the River Moldovita. We will get off before the terminus of the track, at the best starting point of our hike. This immersion in a peasant world will enchant you; the beautiful landscape punctuated with sheep herds and horse-carts reveals a great harmony. Night in Moldovita (~5 hours, 14 km, +500m, -550). (BLD)
After a first short climb we arrive in the forest and from there, according to the moving of the flocks, we could reach a shepherd’s hut. We continue through the famous fir-tree forest of Bucovina until we go back to the valley to discover one of the major components of the unique Bucovina monasteries set, the Moldoviţa painted monastery. From there, depending on how we feel we go back to the guesthouse either on foot (5km) through the village, either with a local bus. Night at the same place. (~4 hours, 13 km, +/-300m) (BLD)
Before our walk today, we will meet Hutsules people; these inhabitants (with uncertain roots and history) will make us discover their art: eggs painting. We will continue our hike through woods and fields and will lead you to an unexpected rural world which is still very alive. After a short transfer we will arrive to the Suceviţa monastery from the field, which will offer us a striking sight: the nature seems to protect the monastery like a jewel! The perfection of each detail on such a vast fresco is amazing. (~3.5 hours, 11 km, +400m, -300m, longer walk available). Night in Suceviţa. (BLD)
Transfer to the border with Maramureş (~3.30 hours of transfer) to Prislop pass (1400m). From here we will enter the National park of Rodnei Mountains and start our walk by a soft ascent to the glacier lake of Stiol (1700m). Our track will be studded with different flowers such as rhododendron, gentian, depending on the period of the year. From there will enter in the massif pine forest and go down to Horses’ Waterfall, the tallest waterfall in Romania. (~4 hours, 14 km, +350m, -650).
First stop for the day will be in the town of Sighetu Marmatiei, after a 2h transfer by car. Here we will visit the "Communism Victims Memorial" created in the prison where the main opponents of the regime were detained, without judging. You’ll have some free time for lunch before we go to the village of Desesti, to visit one of the most beautiful wooden churches of Maramures. From there we’ll do a relaxing walk to our host village for tonight, Breb, the village where Prince Charles is owner of a beautiful old traditional house. (~2 hours, 8 km, +350m, -650).
Today we will discover Maramureş between fields and forests. In every season, country is animated by the field’s works. But before our walk, we’ll pay a visit to the traditional wooden installations from Sarbi, a fulling mill, a thresher, whirlpools and a brandy distillery. According to the time, short stop at Bârsana monastery which is a masterpiece of the wooden Maramureş architecture. Then, we’ll start our village to village walk, with destination in Botiza village. There we will have a weaving demonstration at one of the last ladies who masters this ancient craft. (6 hours, 13 km, +/-400)
On our last day we’ll hike to the nearby village of Ieud. We will start going up on a narrow path along a small stream, covered by surrounded by colorful flowers. At the end of the walk, we will visit the oldest wooden church of Maramureş, the one from Ieud dating back to 14th century, part of UNESCO heritage. We’ll end the tour with a 4h transfer to the city of Cluj Napoca, the most important university city of Romania, with a cosmopolitan culture and Hungarian heritage which waits to be discovered. Late arrival but you can extend your trip in Cluj. (~2.5 hours, 8 km, +250, -300m).
Breakfast. End of the trip.
We can assist you with train transfer or flight ticket to Bucharest. Also, we designed a special extra-tour for the way back to Bucharest including:
-1st day: train transfer to Sighisoara, visit of the beautiful fortified citadel and overnight Sighisoara.
-2nd day: train transfer to Brasov, visit of the medieval center and overnight Brasov.
-3rd day: train transfer to Bucharest. Check the extra-options below.
We can as well customize this tour.
- At 20:30 at Bucharest train station. optional transfer from Bucharest OTP Airport.
- At your hotel in Cluj, after breakfast. Optional transfer to Cluj CLJ Airport.
- Rural pensions in double occupancy, exceptionally triple with private & shared facilities (1 for 2 rooms).
Depending on the size of the group, the accommodation can be done in several pensions. Meals will be taken together.
1 night in sleeping train wagon - 2 or 4 beds /cabin, upon availabilities, we can know it 3 weeks before the departure. Sooner the booking is done, more chances we have to book cabins of 2 beds.
6 nights in rural guesthouses, in double occupancy, with private & shared facilities (1 for 2 rooms)
1 night in 3* hotel in the center of Cluj
- 6 to 14 people. Smaller groups with supplement, contact us for details.
- 9 days / 6 days of walking. Easy to medium level of walking with a maximum day at 6 hours. Some walks could change depending on the group level or the weather conditions or be interrupted by small transfers.
- The transfers of your luggage is ensured. You only have to carry your things needed for the day (picnic, camera...)
- Single supplement : 130€
- Private transfer Bucharest OTP Airport - Bucharest North Train Station (for 1-3 people, one way). : 30€
- Private transfer Cluj city centre or Cluj Train Station - Cluj CLJ Airport (for 1-3 people, one way). : 30€
- Train ticket for overnight service Cluj – Bucharest North, 1st class, 2 beds / cabin. Per person. : 70€
- Train ticket for overnight service Cluj – Bucharest North, 6 beds / cabin. Per person. : 38€
- Extra-night In Cluj-Napoca, Hotel 3* in the centre of the town, price / DBL BB. : 70€
- Small group supplement: departure in case of a 5 person group, supplement to be paid / person. : 100€
- Small group supplement: departure in case of a 4 person group, supplement to be paid / person. : 250€
- Small group supplement: departure in case of a 3 person group, supplement to be paid / person. : 500€
- Small group supplement: departure in case of a 2 person group, supplement to be paid / person. : 750€
- Supplement for night train cabin used as SGL for the Bucharest - Bukovina train on Day 1. : 60€
- English speaking guide throughout the trip
- Meals (8 breakfasts, 6 picnics, 6 dinners). Dinner is a 3-course menu – entrée/soup, main dish, and a dessert
- Luggage transfer
- Steam train ticket (if the 2022 schedule allows it)
- Transport to the meeting point and from the point of dispersion
- The insurance
- Meals as indicated (not included Dinner of Day 1 and Lunch and Dinner of Day 8) and drinks, other than water
- Site visits
- Personal expenses
Carpathian Mountains and Castles - self-guided walk
Transylvania - Independent walking - 8 days / 7 nights
The Carpathian Mountains, villages and castles - guided version
Transylvania - Guided walking - 8 days / 7 nights