Discover Transylvania's magic with this great self-guided cycling trip! Let yourself be inspired by Transylvania's many legends, its breath-taking scenery, the kind locals and its surprising and historic atmosphere. Embark yourself on an exceptional adventure that you'll never forget! You will have a great exercise thanks to the stunning Transylvanian hills, and we've prepared a lot of delightful visits for you to enjoy! So get prepared to embark on a holiday that is rich in history, culture and very hearty food! Have yourself an exceptional adventure that you'll never forget!
Your day by day program
Today your holiday will begin! We will welcome you at the north station of Bucharest before 14h. You will be transferred by train from the North Station in Bucharest to the Saxon city of Brasov (~ 2.5h). Once you reach Brasov, you will get a regional train that will take you to Zarnesti (~ 45min). You will spend the evening and have dinner in a lovely guesthouse in this small village at the foot of the Piatra Craiului massif. In the evening you can go for a ride and try the bikes.
Today, you will head north to a charming little authentic village at the foot of the Fagaras mountains, the highest mountains in Romania. You can make a detour of 7 km on a gravel road to visit the interesting bear sanctuary near Zarnesti. From here, you head to Ohaba where you will visit the country's oldest flour mill powered by water. Here you will hear his tumultuous history of the communist era. Dinner and accommodation in an authentic guest house enjoying the most beautiful mountain environment.
Breakfast, packed lunch, dinner, D, ~ 50 km, + 250m, -400m
Today you will cycle at the foot of the Fagaras mountains over Bucium river. You will pass through the village of Lisa, where a 100 years old machine, which tailors thick woollen blankets is waiting for you to discover it; After that, you will be passing through Sambata de Sus (the High Saturday) to experience its impressive Brancovenesc monastery which dates all the way back to 1696. Following this, the trip takes you further, over to the village of Dragus where you will see an ethnographic museum filled with information about the old crafts: carpentry, weaving, wedding customs, children's games and habits, and more. Later on, you'll cross Victoria town, an old communist worker's residence and head to the small village of Carta, where you will visit the spectacular ruins of the local Cistercian monastery. Hopefully, you will have the opportunity to meet the pastor and listen to his insightful stories. Dinner and accommodation at an old stone mill guesthouse in Carta village.
Breakfast, packed lunch and dinner, ~60 km, +300m, -450m
Here we recommend you extra-nights in Carta to make the most of your stay:
1. The first one is for the visit of Sibiu, one of the most beautiful medieval towns in Romania. Also worth knowing that Sibiu was chosen « the cultural capital of Europe in 2007 ». This beautiful place was developed by the Saxons on the remains of a Roman village and it became the residence of the Austrian government in Transylvania. Nowadays Sibiu impresses with its small streets, picturesque courtyards and the ancient rock stairs which create a most romantic atmosphere.
2. The second suggested option is for letting you discover the Transfagaras road by bike, which is a 100 km long wonder which crosses the Carpathian Mountains, being the highest bitumen coated road of Romania at just under 2000 m altitude. More details below
Today's trip will have you enjoy pristine country roads with beautiful pastoral landscapes. The destination is Biertan, a peaceful little town where you will find an enormous fortified church with an amazing history. This too has made the Unesco World Heritage list since 1993. If you would like to make an extra little detour, there is also a second beautiful fortified church nearby to visit. Dinner and accommodation in Biertan village, with amazing views of the imposing fortified church.
Breakfast, packed lunch, dinner, ~65 km, +600m, -650m
Today you will have a magical day whereas you cycle on to Sighisoara, one of the few medieval citadels in Europe which is still fully inhabited and proudly included on the UNESCO list of World Heritage. Let yourself be amazed by this old town which has a most beautiful clock tower (initially purposed as the main entrance to the citadel), an interesting set of covered stairs, medieval cobbled streets, and the mysterious house where Vlad Dracul, (Dracula's father) was born. On your way today you can also make a small detour to Dumbraveni, another lovely town which is home to an important Armenian Catholic Church, another witness of our spectacular past. Accommodation in a charming and central 3* hotel. Dinner not included.
Breakfast, packed lunch, ~40 km, +380m, -400m
Today you will have a great exercise cycling through the brilliant Transylvanian hills to Apold village, home to another gorgeous fortified church. At the end, you will arrive in the peaceful Soars village where you will spend the night. Today's ride will take you through remote and bucolic areas where you will surely meet shepherds watching over their sheep herds. Make sure you have your camera ready!
Breakfast, packed lunch, dinner ~48 km, +600m, -500m
From Soars, you move further to one of the highlights of this trip, Viscri. This is a properly restored Saxon village whereas the Prince of Wales bought himself a house and helped the villagers bring back to life their authentic past. Viscri also has a very interesting fortified church which was also refurbished with the help of Prince’s Charles foundation. A cycling day through these old but beautiful villages will have you meditating at the passing of time and the necessary connection with nature.
Breakfast, packed lunch, dinner, ~35 km, +300m, -250m
Leaving from Viscri after breakfast, private transfer to Brasov from where train departure to Bucharest (several trains starting with 13:30). We highly suggest an extra-night in this medieval town if you don’t have the time to visit it during the first day. End of the trip.
Every day from April to October, subject to availability of accommodation, response within 48 hours, from Monday to Friday.
- Bucharest train station.
- Bucharest train station.
- Double occupancy:
- 1 night in 3* small hotel in Sighisoara (D5)
- 7 nights in guesthouses, exceptionally shared facilities
- Minimum of 2 people.
- 9 days of which 7 of cycling. Medium level (from 35 to 74 Km/day, with some climbs).
- Luggage will be transferred from one guest-house to the other.
- Rental Arcade Hybrid Bikes, V-brake (21-speed trigger, equipped Shimano, double rims, aluminium frame, 1 rear bag, repair kit, antitheft) Not included: gloves, counter, helmets. We can provide you with helmets, but we advise you to bring your personal helmets. : 80€
- Rental of E-Bike during the trip : 260€
- Rental Trek Hybrid Bikes with front suspensions, disc brakes and bottle holder (21-speed trigger, Shimano equipped, double rims, aluminium frame, 1 rear bag, repair kit, antitheft lock) Not included: gloves, counter, helmets. We can provide you with helmets, but we advise you to bring your personal helmets. : 95€
- Extra-night in Carta, guesthouse, half board, (price per person, based on minimum 2 participants) + train tickets to Sibiu and back (around 1h15 per section). - for visiting Sibiu : 45€
- Extra night in Carta, guest house, half board (price per person, based on minimum 2 participants) + bus in the morning to Lake Balea (2050m) + bike rental. - to ride on the Transfagarasan road available only on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from the end of June, only available according to the weather. : 75€
- Single supplement (price per person for minimum 2 participants) : 90€
- Single Traveller supplement, if you are travelling on your own : 295€
- Rental rear pannier ( that is in addition to the one you get with your bike hire) : 15€
- GPS tracks on USB stick : 25€
- Meals (8 breakfasts, 7 picnics and 7 dinners)
- Luggage transfers
- Day 1 & 9 – Train Bucharest / Brasov – Brasov / Bucharest: about 2h45
- Day 1 – Train Brasov / Zarnesti: about 40 minutes
- Day 9 – Private transfer from Vad to Brasov: about 1h15 (possible detour to Bran castle, see “Extras”)
- 24h/24 local assistance available
- Bike rental
- Transfer to the meeting point and from the drop off point
- Drinks other than water
- Items of personal nature
- Insurances and personal expenses