Immersed in the Romanian counties you will discover a rural world which disappeared long ago in western countries. You will be permanently in contact with the rich peasant culture and the protected nature. You will visit two regions, Bucovina and Maramures. In these two regions, so close but so different, the inhabitants will help you to discover the village life and their crafts and to understand the mysteries of the painted monasteries and wooden churches which are now part of the UNESCO Heritage. All this, and many other discoveries, waits for you during this journey.
Bucovina will seduce you with its famous painted monasteries, with its rich culture (hailing from almost all the ethnic groups of Central Europe), with the crafts, with the field works in its hilly landscape and other wonders.
In Maramures, the wood work, result of a secular tradition, will fascinate you. This know-how transmitted from father to son is perfectly mastered by the craftsmen.
A soft and peaceful landscape will surround you during this unforgettable journey.
Your day by day program
Arrival in Bucharest. Meeting the guide in the evening at the train station 1hr before the train departure. Night train for Bucovina at 9:30 PM (sleeping wagon 2 or 4 beds / cabin, upon availabilities, we can know it only 3 weeks before the departure. Train timetable may change).
In the morning we’ll take the steam train. The steam train track leads along the River Moldovita. We will get off before the terminus of the track, at the best starting point of our hike. This immersion in a peasant world will enchant you; the beautiful landscape punctuated with sheep herds and horse-carts reveals a great harmony. Night at the same place (~5 hours, 14 km, +500m, -550). (BLD)
In the morning, short private transfer to our hosts. After the breakfast, be ready to discover already the deep Bucovina. After a short climb we arrive in the forest and from there, according to the moving of the flocks, we could reach a shepherd’s hut. We continue through the famous fir-tree forest of Bucovina until we go back to the valley to discover one of the major components of the unique Bucovina monasteries set, the Moldoviţa painted monastery. From there, depending on how we feel we go back to the guesthouse either on foot (5km) through the village, either with a local bus. Night in Moldoviţa. (~4 hours, 13 km, +/-300m). (BLD)
Before our walk today, we will meet Hutsules people; these inhabitants (with uncertain roots and history) will make us discover their art: eggs painting. We will continue our hike through woods and fields will lead you to an unexpected rural world which is still very alive. After a short transfer we will arrive to the Suceviţa monastery from the field, which will offer us a striking sight: the nature seems to protect the monastery like a jewel! The perfection of each detail on such a vast fresco is amazing. (~3.5 hours, 11 km, +400m, -300m, longer walk available). Night in Suceviţa. (BLD)
Transfer to Maramureş (~4.30 hours of transfer). We will visit the oldest wooden church of Maramureş, the one from Ieud dating back to 14th century, and then we will hike to our host, in the nearby village. Immersion in the Maramureş atmosphere with its deep forests, its long-shaped villages with sculptured portals and with its wooden churches. If we have time we will meet Parasca before dinner (if not, in the morning), one of the few ladies remaining in the village still practicing the traditional weaving. (~2.5 hours, 8 km, +300m, -250). (BLD)
Today we will discover Maramureş between fields and forests. In every season, country is animated by the field’s works. Hike from a village to another. According to the weather, visit of the Bârsana monastery which is a masterpiece of the wooden Maramureş architecture. (4 hours, 13 km, +/-400). Possible longer walk depending on the group level. (BLD)
Today we go to a remote region of Maramureş, and we hike the Rooster’s Crest, a volcanic rock formation. A very different landscape, between high mountain pastures, mountain lakes, and forests. We will make a last visit in one of the most impressive wooden churches, Desesti, with very lively paintings. This church has one of the richest interior frescoes. (~6 hours, 18 km, +400m, -700). (BLD)
Private transfer to Săpânţa to discover the incredible “Happy Cemetery”. It is time to visit the city of Sighetu Marmaţiei and its "Communism Victims Memorial" created in the prison where were detained (without judging) the main opponents of the regime. Departure after lunch time for Cluj (~4.30 hours of transfer), the most important university city of Romania, with a cosmopolitan culture and Hungarian heritage. You will definitely be seduced by this city and surprised about the immense difference with Bucharest. (BD)
Breakfast. End of the trip.
We can assist you with train transfer or flight ticket to Bucharest. Also, we designed a special extra-tour for the way back to Bucharest including:
-1st day: train transfer to Sighisoara, visit of the beautiful fortified citadel and overnight Sighisoara.
-2nd day: train transfer to Brasov, visit of the medieval center and overnight Brasov.
-3rd day: train transfer to Bucharest. Check the extra-options below.
We can desing any other tailored tour.
Departures for groups formed on request
- Bucharest train station. Optional transfer from the airport.
- At your hotel in Cluj. Optional transfer to the airport.
- Rural pensions in double occupancy, exceptionally triple with private & shared facilities (1 for 2 rooms).
Depending on the size of the group, the accommodation can be done in several pensions. Meals will be taken together.
- 6 to 14 people. Smaller groups with supplement, contact us for details.
- 9 days. 6 days of walking: easy to medium (accessible to every person who walks regularly in the year), on paths and forest roads. Some walks could change depending on the group level or the weather conditions or be interrupted by small transfers.
- The transfers of your luggage is ensured. You only have to carry your things needed for the day (picnic, camera...)
- Single supplement : 90€
- Private transfer airport / train station (for 3 people) : 25€
- Extra-tour Cluj - Sighisoara - Brasov - Bucuresti 4 days / 3 nights : 155€
- Train ticket 22:09 Cluj – 08:10 Bucharest, 1st class, 2 berths / cabin. Per person : 55€
- Train ticket 22:09 Cluj – 08:10 Bucharest, 2nd class, 4 berths / cabin. Per person : 35€
- Extra-night In Cluj-Napoca, Hotel 3* in the centre of the town : 58€
- Nights (1st night in the train)
- Meals: 8 breakfasts, 6 picnics, 7 dinners. Dinner is 3 course menu – entrée/soup, main dish and a dessert
- Luggage transfer
- Steam train ticket
- Transfer to the meeting point (North train station in Bucharest)
- The entrance fees into museums, monasteries
- The insurance
- Meals as indicated (dinner Day 1, lunch & dinner Day 8)
- Drinks, personal spending & snacks