Piatra Craiului and Bucegi mountains, are two of the most amazing Romanian massifs. Their easy access didn't affect their wilderness, that's why we invite you to discover their rich fauna and flora, warm clearings and spectacular landscapes. Human rural activities and history will fascinate you there, and you will be impressed by sheepfolds and medieval fortresses.
Your day by day program
Beginning of the journey in Bucharest. Arrival before 2:00 pm. Reception at the train station or at your hotel in Bucharest. If you arrive by plane take the direct bus to the train station or add the option of private transfer. Train to Brasov. Private transfer to Magura village, a picturesque location with wide views over the wonderful mountain landscapes. Dinner and overnight in a charming guesthouse. (D).
Our walk starts with a warm-up descent followed by a nice steady climb through woodland trails that are mysterious and rich in birdsong. We will reach spots where we can take-in the views of the ridge of Piatra Craiului (“Rock of the King”). We will head to Curmatura traditional Romanian mountain-hut, where we will have a tasty lunch. On our descent we will cross the fascinating Zarnesti gorges - Jurassic canyon dig by waters - nowadays exhibiting spectacular 200m high vertical walls. Accommodation in the same place as day the before (around 6h, 18km, +900m, -900m). (B, L, D)
We say goodbye to Piatra Craiului to meet the Bucegi mountains. Today we will walk on a small ridge going down to Bran castle. This castle was built in the 14th century and had a role of defence against the migratory people. Later it protected Transylvania from the Ottoman invasions. The castle was also associated with the fictional character of Dracula, who was based on the prince Vlad Tepes of Wallachia. End of the trip in Bran. Optional private transfer (13km) to visit Rasnov fortress. Private transfer to Mieciu de Sus. (around 4,5h, 14km, +300m, -600m). (B, L, D).
Leave Piatra Craiului mountains and head to Bucegi mountains. End of the day in Bran village where you can visit the Bran fortress, long time promoted as Dracula castle. (around 4h30, 13km, +350m, -550m) Optional private transfer (13km) to visit Rasnov fortress.
Breakfast and transfer to Bucharest.
On your way, optionally, you can also visit the Rasnov Fortress. The citadel was built as part of a defence system for the Transylvanian villages exposed to outside invasions. A decisive aspect for building the citadel on the actual location was the route of the invading armies which were coming from the Bran pass and were passing through Râșnov.
End of the trip.
From April to the end of October.
- Bucharest train station.
- Bucharest train station.
- Nights in guest-houses in double rooms with private facilities.
- Minimum of 2 people.
- Requires a medium fitness level. Maximum of 5-6h walking a day.
- The transfers of your luggage is ensured. You only have to carry your things needed for the day (picnic, camera...)
- Private transfer from Bucharest airport to Bucharest hotel or train station : 25€
- 1h stop at Rasnov fortress during your private transfer from Bran to Brasov (price per person) : 10€
- Single supplement : 40€
- Single traveler : 70€
- The nights, all meals (from dinner Day 1 to breakfast Day 5), train transfer from and to Bucharest, road-book, maps, luggage transfer, permanently contactable local assistance.
- Transfer to the Starting point, the insurances, the drinks other than water and the personal expenses.