Piatra Craiului and Bucegi are some of the most popular and appreciated Romanian mountains. Come here to discover the unbelievable diversity of flora and fauna in the National Park of Piatra Craiului, the great pastures and the spectacular landscapes at the feet of Bucegi mountains. You will also visit perched sheepfolds in high mountain pastures and medieval fortresses.
Your day by day program
Beginning of the journey in Bucharest. Arrival before 2:00 pm if you don't want a private transfer. Reception at the train station or at your hotel in Bucharest. Train to Zarnesti (change in Brasov). Night in Zarnesti.
Walk in Piatra Craiului (“Rock of the King”) mountains to the typical mountain hut of Curmatura. On your way to the guesthouse you will cross the fascinating Zarnesti gorges with 200m high vertical walls. Approx 5h, 15km, +800m, -300m.
Today you will walk on a small ridge going down to Bran castle. This castle was built in the 14th century and had a role of defence against the migratory people. Later it protected Transylvania from the Ottoman invasions. The castle was also associated with the fictional character of Dracula, who was based on the prince Vlad Tepes of Wallachia. Transfer to the same guesthouse as the night before. Approx. 4h30, 14km, +300m, -600m).
Trek in the National park of Piatra Craiului till the south of the ridge through pastures, sheepfolds, woods and scattered villages. You will arrive in a Romanian traditional mountain village. Approx. 4h30, 13km, +300m, -250m.
Leave the Piatra Craiului mountains. A easy walk with “picture post-card” landscapes through scattered villages with small and ancient houses, at the foot of Bucegi mountains. The inhabitants are livestock breeders; therefore the village has a long time tradition in cheese preparing. Approx. 4h, 14km, -150m, +250m.
Trek towards the Bucegi massif. A long hike which you will not regret: magnificent landscapes and sights of the Piatra Craiului’s crest. Approx. 6h, 18km, +650m, -900m. (Possible shorter walk 4h, 12km, +400m, -700m)
Continue to hike in the Bucegi mountains. A trek along the meadow of Gutanu and the vertical walls of the Bucegi’s crest. Starting with June you can find the shepherds with their flocks and maybe even ask to taste the cheese they prepare. Take the time and enjoy these landscapes. Approx. 6h, 18km, +700m, -900m.
Transfer by bus to Brasov and then by train to Bucharest. End of the journey.
From April to the end of October.
- Bucharest train station.
- Bucharest train station.
- Nights in guest-houses in double rooms. Mostly 2 stars accommodation (except 2 days with WC out of the room).
- Minimum of 2 people.
- Requires a medium fitness level. Maximum of 6h walking a day.
- The transfers of your luggage is ensured. You only have to carry your things needed for the day (picnic, camera...)
- Day 1 - Private transfer: Bucharest airport to the train station or center, 45 min : 25€
- Day 1 - Private transfer: Bucharest airport to 1st guesthouse in Zarnesti, 3 hr : 110€
- Day 1 - Private transfer (instead of train): Brasov station to Zarnesti : 20€
- Day 8 - Private transfer: guesthouse in Bran to Bucharest airport, 3hr : 110€
- Single supplement : 75€
- Extra-night in Bucharest, hotel Capitol 3*, single room : 55€
- Extra-night in Bucharest, hotel Capitol 3*, double room : 70€
- Extra-night in Bucharest, hotel Capitol 3*, triple room : 90€
- The nights, meals (except dinner and picnic day 7), road-book, maps, transfer of luggage, permanently reachable local assistance.
- Transfer to the meeting point and to the drop off point, the insurances, the drinks, the optional activities and the personal expenses.