This trip will introduce you to the Carpathian Mountains and Transylvania, known as a mysterious and spectacular land, famous through Bram Stocker’s legend of Dracula and well-known for its forests sheltering so many species of wild plants and animals.
Surrounded by the Carpathian Mountains, Transylvania was also a much sought for land. That is how the Saxons arrived here in the 11th century to guard the Carpathian Mountains passes between Transylvania and Wallachia against the Tatars and the Ottomans. But this is just a hint of the rich heritage that you will discover during this entire trip. An exceptional holiday is awaiting for you!
Your day by day program
Arrival and welcome in Bucharest Northern Train Station before 2 PM. Train to Brasov (approx. 3h) followed by Private Transfer to Bucium, a mountain village at the foot of the wonderful Fagaras range. Accommodation and dinner at your guesthouse.
You cycle at the foot of the Fagaras mountains over Bucium river. You will step by the original village of Lisa where a 100 years old machine, tailoring thick woollen blanket is still working; then passing by Sambata de Sus with its impressive Brancovenesc monastery from 1696. After that the trip goes further over Dragus (etnographic museum). You cross the Victoria town and to the small village of Cartisoara and from there to the village of Carta, where you will visit the ruins of the Cistercian monastery. Hopefully you will have the opportunity to meet the pastor and hear his beautiful stories. Overnight and dinner at guesthouse in Carta village. (BLD, ~60 km, +300m, -450m)
2 extra nights possible in Carta:
- One for the visit of Sibiu: we recommend to have an extra day in this magnificent village and to go by train to visit Sibiu, one of the most beautiful medieval towns in Romania. This is certainly the reason why Sibiu was chosen « the cultural capital of Europe in 2007 ». Developed by Saxons on a Roman village, Sibiu was the residence of the Austrian government in Transylvania. The small streets, the picturesque courtyards and the rock stairs create a romantic atmosphere. Lots of monuments and interesting museums are also waiting for you. In the evening you return by train to Carta village.
- One for riding the Transfagarasan route: details below
The route through Transylvania continues towards Biertan and its enormous fortified church with several ring-walls. It is Unesco World Heritage since 1993. Trip along country roads and you'll enjoy the pastoral landscapes and fortified church of Richis. Dinner and accommodation in Biertan village. (BLD, ~65 km, +600m, -650m)
This cycling day will allow you to discover other treasures from Transylvania. You move on to Sighisoara, one of the few medieval citadels in Europe that is still fully inhabited and also included on the list of UNESCO World Heritage. Discover the old town with its famous clock tower, which initially served as the main entrance to the citadel, but also covered stairs, medieval streets, the house where Vlad Dracul, the father of Vlad the Impeller known by Bram Stocker’s legend as Dracula, was born. On the road you can make a small detour to Dumbraveni, another town with an important Armenian Catholic Church, another witness of our glorious past. Free diner. Accommodation in a charming 3* hotel. (BL, ~40 km, +380m, -400m)
After your breakfast, according to your schedule you can still have a few hours to visit enchanting Sighisoara or board the train to Bucharest (5-6 h depending on which train you choose). End of the trip once you reach Bucharest.
From April to the end of October.
Departures for groups formed on request
- Bucharest North train station.
- Bucharest North train station.
- Double occupancy:
- 1 night in 3* small hotel in Sighisoara (D4)
- 3 nights in guesthouses, exceptionally shared facilities
- Minimum of 2 people.
- 5 days of which 3 of cycling. Medium level (from 35 to 66 Km / day, with some climbs).
- Luggage will be transferred from one guest-house to the other.
- Bike rental (Arcade hybrid bikes, 21 gears, back bag, repair kit, pump.) Not included: helmet, speedometer : 55€
- Bike rental (Trek hybrid bikes with front suspension, bottle holder) : 65€
- Extra-night in Carta, guesthouse, 1/2 board, double based / person - for visiting Sibiu : 45€
- Extra-night in Carta, guesthouse, 1/2 board, double based / person - for riding the Transfagarasan road
available only on Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays : 75€
- Extra night in Brasov 3*, central, double based : 70€
- Extra night in Bucharest, 3* central hotel (double based) : 70€
- Single supplement : 65€
- Rental rear panniers : 10€
- GPS tracks on USB stick : 25€
- meals (4 breakfasts, 3 picnics and 3 dinners in the guest-houses)
- road-book, maps, luggage transfer
- 24h/24 local assistance available
- 1 lock for every 2 bikes
- Some of the meals (see above)
- drinks, items of personal nature
- bike rental with helmet
- transfer to the meeting point and from the drop off point
- insurances and personal expenses
- Suggested Items: light fleece top; Light windproof/waterproof jacket; headlamp, sun hat, personal clothing for mild to hot weather, sturdy walking shoes, sunblock, sunglasses.