The Maramures covered in its thick white coat: a trip to the land of fairytale landscapes, monasteries of rare beauty, very welcoming people. A trip to the heart of a peasant region that will not leave us indifferent despite the harshness of its winter.
Your day by day program
Beginning of the trip in Cluj Napoca. Private transfer to Maramures, to the village of Breb, located at the foot of the Gutai mountains. (~ 4h journey). Dinner and overnight.
We start our winter exploration with a short transfer to the village of Desesti, to visit one of the most beautiful wooden churches in Maramures. From there, we take the snowshoes to take a leisurely stroll towards our host village, admiring the landscape. This will be the warm-up day. In the afternoon we will explore this beautiful village up close, where we can put the snowshoes back on for those who want more walking. (~3h)
Today we will cross villages which reveal to us this rural world in perfect harmony with nature. We will start our walk from village to village, towards the village of Botiza. On our way, we will visit another church representing the culture of Maramures, which is part of the UNESCO heritage, that of Poienile Izei. After a hike in the snow, we will end the day in the village of Botiza. (~4h)
Transfer to the border of Maramureş to the Prislop pass (1400m). From there we will enter the Rodna National Park and start our hike with a gentle ascent with a chairlift. From there, we will enter the pine forest of the Rodna massif. In the evening we return to our host village.
Small transfer in the morning to a neighboring village. We continue the transfer to the small Setref pass from where we start our hike which will allow us to soak up the atmosphere of Maramures. Transfer to a small village where important events of the Second World War took place, when Maramures was under hortist occupation. (~5h)
Today we will discover Maramureş between fields and forests. We are walking towards the neighboring village of Ieud. We will start to climb on a narrow path along a small stream covered with intact snow. At the end of the walk, we will visit the oldest wooden church in Maramureş, that of Ieud dating from the 14th century, which is part of the heritage of UNESCO. We end the day with a 3 hour transfer to the city of Cluj Napoca, the most important university city in Romania, with a cosmopolitan culture and a Hungarian heritage to discover. Night in a central hotel. (~3h)
Transfer to the airport after breakfast. End of trip.
Starting in January up to end of February, depending on the weather conditions.
Departures for groups formed on request
- Cluj Napoca
- Cluj Napoca airport
- Rural guesthouses, double occupancy, exceptionally triple with private and shared facilities (1 for 2 bedrooms). In Cluj, night in 3 * hotel
- Min. 4 people - max. 12 people
- 6 days of snowshoeing. Medium level (accessible to anyone walking regularly throughout the year). Some itineraries may be modified depending on the level of the group and the climatic conditions.
- During the hikes the luggage will be transferred between the accommodations by car
- Snow-shoe rental : 55€
- Poles rental : 20€
- Extra-night in Cluj Napoca, hotel 3*, single room : 53€
- Extra-night in Cluj, hotel 3*, double room : 58€
- English-speaking local guide during the entire stay
- All transfers are by private bus
- Luggage transfers
- Accommodation for 6 nights
- 7 breakfasts, 5 picnics and 5 dinners
- Snowshoe rental, entries to museums, personal expenses and meals as indicated (Lunch and dinner of day 6)