An easy & wonderful cycling route that connects some of the most beautiful areas of Historic Maramureș.
Tourists eager to discover the cultural and religious heritage of Maramureș now have the unique opportunity to explore part of the cultural route "The trail of wooden churches in Maramureș" by bike.
- use of a roadbook containing the description of the route step by step;
- use of a map marked with the exact route, step by step;
- permanent contact, in case of need, with us or with the accommodations;
- the freedom to travel at your own pace.
Your day by day program
Arrival at the first hotel in Historic Maramureș. Free evening to discover the city of Sighetu Marmatiei. (Possibility to start in Bucharest and to go by night train to Maramureș or by plane to Baia Mare, with private transfer on request)
Start cycling today! The itinerary will take you through the villages in the Mara valley. You can admire the people working in the fields, houses, churches and the famous gates with symbolic scenes carved in wood.
The first church visited today will be the one in Desești - part of the UNESCO heritage.
In the evening you reach the village of Breb, a hidden gem surrounded by the Gutâi Mountains, from where you can admire the Rooster's Ridge. You will spend the night at a traditional guest house with welcoming hosts.
(~ 30km, +/- 400m)
Breakfast, lunch, dinner
Today you leave Breb and cycle further towards Iza Valley, leaving the Eco-Maramureș area. You will pass through villages like Sârbi and Budești, where other wooden churches await you, true Maramures emblems, but also a traditional peasant complex of water installations. In the village of Bârsana you can stop and admire the mastery of the architecture of the wooden monastery, located at the exit of the village. Your destination for today is the village of Botiza.
(~ 40km, +/- 600m)
Breakfast, lunch, dinner
Leave your bikes today. You will then have a private transfer back to the first accommodation to retrieve your car. On your way you will stop and visit the church in Ieud, the oldest wooden church in Maramureș, also part of the UNESCO heritage. Next to it there is the hemp museum in Ieud, where you can learn more about the processing of this ancient material.
The end of the circuit. Included breakfast.
From April to the end of October
- Sighetu Marmației
- -1 night in a 3 * hotel
-3 nights in a family-run guesthouse in double rooms, exceptional shared bathrooms (1 bathroom with 2 rooms)
- Minimum of 2 people.
- 4 days of which 2 by bike. Medium level (40 km per day, with usually moderate climbs and a few steeper parts).
- Luggage will be transferred from one guesthouse to another.
- Guided holiday (price / person for the 2 days of cycling) : 60€
- Accommodations for 3 nights
- Meals (3 breakfasts, 2 picnics and 2 dinners at guesthouses)
- Route information
- Baggage transfer
- Permanent local assistance.
- Bicycle rental, transfers not mentioned, insurance, entrance fees to attractions and museums, personal expenses.
Carpathian Mountains and Castles - self-guided walk
Transylvania - Walking - 8 days / 7 nights