This trip will introduce you to the Carpathian Mountains and Transylvania, known as a mysterious and spectacular land, famous through Bram Stocker’s legend of Dracula and well-known for its forests sheltering so many species of wild plants and animals.
Transylvania, a land surrounded by the Carpathian Mountains, was also a much sought for area. That is how the Saxons arrived here in the 11th century to guard the Carpathian Mountains passes between Transylvania and Wallachia against the Tatars and the Ottomans. This is the heritage that you will discover during this entire trip. An exceptional holiday is awaiting for you!
Your day by day program
Arrival and welcome in Bucharest Northern Train Station before 2
PM. Train transfer to Zarnesti. Change in Brasov. 2nd train transfer
to Zarnesti, a mountain village and main entrance to the Piatra
Craiului National Park. Accommodation and dinner at your
You will ride to the North, to a small typical village at the foot of Fagaras Mountains, the highest
mountains in Romania. You can make a 7 km detour on a gravel road to visit the already famous Bear
Sanctuary near Zarnesti. From there you head to Ohaba where you will visit the oldest flour mill in the
county, powered by a water and you will hear its amazing story from the communism period. Dinner and
accommodation in a guesthouse. (BLD, ~50 km, +250m, -400m)
You cycle at the foot of the Fagaras mountains over Bucium river.
You will step by the original village of Lisa where a 100 years old
machine, tailoring thick woollen blanket is still working; then passing
by Sambata de Sus with its impressive Brancovenesc monastery
from 1696. After that the trip goes further over Dragus (etnographic
museum). You cross the Victoria town and to the small village of
Cartisoara and from there to the village of Carta, where you will visit
the ruins of the Cistercian monastery. Hopefully you will have the
opportunity to meet the pastor and hear his beautiful stories.
Overnight at guesthouse in Carta village. (BLD, ~60 km, +300m, -
2 extra nights possible in Carta:
- One for the visit of Sibiu: we recommend to have an extra day in this magnificent village and to go
by train to visit Sibiu, one of the most beautiful medieval towns in Romania. This is certainly the
reason why Sibiu was chosen « the cultural capital of Europe in 2007 ». Developed by Saxons on
a Roman village, Sibiu was the residence of the Austrian government in Transylvania. The small
streets, the picturesque courtyards and the rock stairs create a romantic atmosphere. Lots of
monuments and interesting museums are also waiting for you. In the evening you return by train to
- One for riding the Transfagarasan route: details below
The route through Transylvania continues towards Biertan and its
enormous fortified church with several ring-walls. It is Unesco World
Heritage since 1993. Trip along country roads and you'll enjoy the
pastoral landscapes and fortified church of Richis. Dinner and
accommodation in Biertan village. (BLD, ~65 km, +600m, -650m)
This cycling day will allow you to discover other treasures from
Transylvania. You move on to Sighisoara, one of the few medieval
citadels in Europe that is still fully inhabited and also included on the
list of UNESCO World Heritage. Discover the old town with its
famous clock tower, which initially served as the main entrance to
the citadel, but also covered stairs, medieval streets, the house
where Vlad Dracul, the father of Vlad the Impeller known by Bram
Stocker’s legend as Dracula, was born. On the road you can make a
small detour to Dumbraveni, another town with an important
Armenian Catholic Church, another witness of our glorious past.
Free diner. Accommodation in a charming 3* hotel. (BL, ~40 km,
Today you will cycle through the Transylvanian hills to Apold village which also has a lovely fortified
church. Then you will arrive in Soars village where you will spend
the night. The country road will take you to remote and bucolic areas
where you will surely meet shepherds watching over their sheep
herds. Do not miss this meeting! (BLD, ~48 km, +600m, -500m)
From Soars we bike to one of the highlights of this trip, Viscri, where
you will have the opportunity to visit Viscri’s fortified church. This
church was restored with the help of Prince’s Charles foundation. A
ride day thorough those old and time-standing villages offer a
peaceful immersing into yourself; time to meditate at the passing of
time and connection to the nature. (BLD, ~35 km, +300m, -250m)
Leaving from Viscri you will reach Homorod. You will continue your
route to Rupea Fortress, one of the oldest archaeological remains in
Romania. Due its dominant position, next to the city, the fortress is a
remarkable presence from distance. A ride which will takes us
through the villages that will make you discover the ancient rhythm
of the Romanian villagers. (BLD, ~58 km, +250m, -350m)
After breakfast, private transfer to Brasov You will spend the evening
in an époque 2* hotel right in the heart of the old city and discover at
your own pace with the help of our written guide the beauty of the
Crown City of Transylvania. (B)
Today a taxi will transfer you at the first guesthouse, in a magnificent
traditional village, at the foot of Piatra Craiului National Park. This is
where your hiking adventure will commence. (B,D)
Walk on a small ridge to Bran Castle. This castle, built pursuant to a
favour granted by Ludovic d'Anjou in the 14th century to the
inhabitants of the region, always had a role of defence against the
migratory peoples and later it protected Transylvania from the
Ottoman invasions. The castle was also associated during a long
time with the prince Vlad Tepes of Walachia. Born in Transylvania,
he is at the origin of the fictional character of Dracula. (BLD around 4h, 12 km, +350m, -600m)
Today you continue the walk at the feet of the Piatra Craiului
Mountains in this bucolic landscape in the middle of pastures,
sheepfolds and woods. You will cross scattered villages which seem
not to care about time passing. You will see surprising landscapes in
the surrounding mountains. (BLD ~5h00, 14km, +/-550m)
Leave Piatra Craiului mountains and walk to Bucegi’s mountains. An
easy walk with “picture post-card” landscapes through a Romanian
traditional mountain village with small and ancient houses, at the
foot of Bucegi Mountains. The inhabitants are livestock breeders;
therefore, the village has a long time tradition in cheese preparing. (BLD Approx. 4h30, 14km, -150m,
Climb into the Bucegi’s mountains. A longer walk is possible along the meadow of Gutanu and the vertical
walls of the Bucegi’s ridge, who will offer you beautiful landscape and view over Piatra Craiului ridge.
(BLD around 6h, 18 km, +650m, -900 or a shorter one, around 4h30)
Private transfer to Brasov train station. Train to Bucharest. End of trip (B)
From the end of April to the end of October.
- Bucharest train station.
- Bucharest train station.
- Double occupancy in guesthouses and small charming hotels. Exceptionally shared
- Minimum of 4 people.
- 15 days of which 7 of cycling. Medium level (from 35 to 66 Km / day, with some climbs) and 4 days of walking. Medium level of walking with a maximum day at 6 hours.
- Luggage will be transferred from one guest-house to the other during the hikes/rides.
- Trek hybrid bikes with front suspension, bottle holder, disk brakes : 95€
- Arcade hybrid bikes, no suspensions, v-brakes, bottle holder for men frame only : 80€
- E-bike Rental throughout the trip Frame: Alpha Aluminum, specially designed for the Bosch Active Line system, luggage rack and mudguard Fork: Rigid Tires: Schwalbe Big Apple, 700x50C, K-Guard puncture protection Shimano hydraulic disc brakes Cassette Shimano 9-speed Crankset Miranda Delta Battery: Bosch PowerPack (diagonal tube), 500Wh Engine: Bosch Active +, 250 Watt, 50 Nm : 290€
- Extra Day In Carta: / person double base, Activity: visit the city of Sibiu. Price includes hotel with half-board and train tickets to Sibiu and back (around 1h15 per section). This price doesn’t include: lunch. : 45€
- Extra Day in Carta: / person double base,AVAILABLE ONLY ON MONDAYS, WEDNESDAYS & FRIDAYS Activity: Ride on Transfagarasan road, one of the most amazing mountain roads from Europe. This price includes: hotel with half-board, bus in the morning to Balea Lake (2050m) or to Balea Cascada (1450m if there is still snow by the lake), bike rental. This price doesn’t include: lunch, cable car in case of snow at Balea Cascada . More info about this road: http://www.wildtransylvania.com/p/transfagarasan.html. : 75€
- 3 people departure price / person : 120€
- 2 people departure price / person : 220€
- 14 breakfasts (B), 12 dinners (D) et 11 pique-niques (L). Dinner: 3 course menu with
- several choices - entrée, main dish and a dessert.
- Occasionally dinner is a 2 course meal.
- Not included: Drinks.
- handlebar bag, speedometer, gloves, helmet. We provide helmets only on request
- as it is always safer and more comfortable to bring your own helmets
- Meals like indicated, drinks, extra panniers, items of personal nature.
Mysteries of the Carpathian Mountains and Saxon citadels of Transylvania
Transylvania - Independent walking - Multi-activities - Car Tours - Culture & gastronomy - 8 days / 7 nights